NOVEMBER 7, 1929 - JULY 1, 1951

Harold V. Sturgis was born November 7, 1929 in Kansas City, MO the son of Fay M. and Mary Sturgis.

During his youthful days he lived in Olathe, KS coming with his parents to Osawatomie in 1943. That fall he started in his freshman year at Osawatomie High School graduating in 1947. During the interval which followed he worked on the farm with his father and did various other jobs, and on November 23, 1948, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force. He was sent for his training to Lackland Field, San Antonio, Texas. Immediately upon completing his basic training he was given the opportunity to go to a school for specialists, the A. & E. School at Keesler Field, Biloxi, Mississippi, where he received technical training in various phases of air plane engine construction and functioning. Upon completion of this specialized training he was assigned to Shepherd Field, Wichita Falls, Texas in October 1949 to become an instructor. The official designation of the work was Technical Training Technician. His advance in rank has been as rapid as time would permit, for his skill and ability brought constant recognition from his superior officers.

He was taken ill rather suddenly the middle of last week and went to the base hospital where every attention was given, but the combined skill of medical staff and nurses did not suffice, and on Sunday evening, July 1, he passed away, just as his parents arrived at the hospital from Osawatomie.

Sgt. Eugene Hartford, intimate friend and associate of Sgt. Sturgis, was named the guard of honor to accompany his friend back home. Sgt. Thomas Cooper, Sgt. Arthur Gifford and Sgt. Clyde Davis, all intimate friends of Harold’s accompanied the parents back to Osawatomie, and also brought Harold’s car. Harold had thoroughly enjoyed his Army Air Force service and was planning to reenlist when his enlistment term expired in the Fall, even if the Korean situation did not get any better as he felt he could make a genuine career of his work.

In addition to his father and mother, he is survived by two brothers, Kenneth Sturgis, Spring Hill, KS and Warren Sturgis, Highland Springs, VA; also by one nephew and three nieces.

Funeral services were in the Eddy Funeral Home, Thursday, July 5, 1951, at 10:00 a.m. with Rev. William I. Hastie officiating. Interment was in the Delavan, KS cemetery.

William Pierce sang “Blest be the Tie” and “It’s no Secret what God Can Do” accompanied at the organ by Mrs. Eleanor Beasley.

The friends who served as flower ladies were Mrs. Lou Wilson, Mrs. Elwyn Parker, Mrs. William Boone, Mrs. Lisle Brown, Mrs. Ray Parker, and Mrs. Betty Mayberry.

Sgt. Thomas Cooper, Sgt. Eugene Hartford, Sgt. Arthur Gifford, Sgt. Clyde Davis, Staff Sgt. Estel Williams and Cpl. Charles Kirchen, all air force friends, served as pallbearers.

- - From the Osawatomie Graphic New 7-12-51  

Return to 1940-1949 List